Dance - Key Stage 4
Students who choose to study Dance at Key Stage 4 will follow the AQA GCSE Dance course.
The areas covered in the course include:
- Component 1: Performance and choreography
- Component 2: Dance appreciation
The course enables students to develop skills, knowledge and understanding of dance as choreographer, performer and critic through:
- Applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in performing and choreographing dance, including the ability to improve
- Creating dances for a range of purposes and in response to different stimuli
- Developing the ability to analyse, evaluate and appreciate dance.
Students also appreciate the contribution of dance to their personal and social health, fitness and wellbeing and be aware of the range of opportunities and pathways available in dance.
Students will take part in numerous practical workshops, performances and classes and through these sessions will explore a variety of skills through the medium of contemporary dance and choreography. Students will:
- Learn set phrases as a soloist working on technical skills
- Develop the set phrases into a duet/trio performance and further enhance their performance skills
- Develop their skills of dance analysis, evaluating different professional set works and drawing their own conclusions and opinions in a critical way
The course is assessed by two controlled assessment tasks and a written examination:
- Component 1 - Performance:
- Component 1 - Choreography:
- Component 2 - Examination - a 1 hour and 30 minute examination worth 40% of the final grade.
Students who study Dance can go on to gain employment in the Performing Arts sector as a dancer or dance teacher, or progress on to further education or a vocational qualification.
Click here to view the curriculum implementation overview for Dance at Key Stage 4.
Click here to view the curriculum timeline for Dance and Key Stage 4.
Curriculum Learning Journey
Click here to view the learning journey for Dance at Key Stage 4.
Click here to view the knowledge organiser for Dance at Key Stage 4.
Click here to return to the Physical Education page.