Sport - Key Stage 5
Students who choose to study Sport at Key Stage 5 can follow either the BTEC National Extended Certificate in Sport (equivalent 1 A level) or the BTEC National Diploma in Sport (equivalent 2 A levels) course.
We have an outstanding track record of delivering success with these qualifications over a number of years. The majority of students who have studied these courses have gone on to study sport at university in many different areas of sport across a range of university’s including Loughborough, Birmingham, Bath and Nottingham.
The BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate enables students to build upon the foundation of the National Curriculum in PE and the GCSE / BTEC First.
All students complete the following units over two years:
- Unit 1 Anatomy and physiology (Written exam)
- Unit 2 Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being (written exam)
- Unit 3 Professional development in the sports industry (coursework module)
- Unit 7 Practical sports performance (coursework module)
Those choosing to study the Diploma course will additionally complete:
- Unit 4 Sports leadership (coursework module)
- Unit 5 Application of fitness testing (coursework module)
- Unit 6 Sports psychology (coursework module)
- Unit 22 Investigating business in sport and the leisure industry (written exam)
- Unit 23 Skill acquisition in sport (coursework module)
Students who study either the Certificate or Diploma in Sport can go on to careers in sports development or promotion, sports coaching, sports psychologist, PE teaching, personal training and physiotherapist. The course also provides a pathway into higher education.
Click here to view the curriculum implementation overview for Sports Studies at Key Stage 5.
Click here to view the curriculum timeline for Sport Studies at Key Stage 5.
Curriculum Learning Journey
Click here to view the learning journey for Sport Studies at Key Stage 5.
Click here to return to the Physical Education page.