Food Preparation and Nutrition - Key Stage 4
Following their introduction to food technology in key stage 3 many students choose to continue studying food at Key Stage 4 where they follow the AQA GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition course.
The areas covered in the course include:
- Food, nutrition and health
- Food science
- Food safety
- Food choice
- Food provenance
The types of tasks that are completed are:
- Cooking a range of dishes
- Using a range of technological equipment found in domestic kitchens
- Designing food
- Making food products
- Tasting and evaluating foods
The course is assessed through:
- Controlled Assessment - makes up 50% of the final grade. There are two tasks, both of which include practical work:
- Task 1: Food investigation - This task looks at students' understanding of the working characteristics, functional and chemical properties of ingredients. This is assessed by the production of a handwritten or electronic report (1,500 – 2,000 words) including photographic evidence of the practical investigation.
- Task 2: Food preparation assessment - This task looks at students' knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to the planning, preparation, cooking, presentation of food and application of nutrition related to the chosen task. Students will prepare, cook and present a final menu of three dishes within a single period of no more than three hours, planning in advance how this will be achieved. This is assessed by a written or electronic portfolio including photographic evidence.
- Examination - a 1 hour 45 minute examination worth 50% of the final grade, which will assess theoretical knowledge of food preparation and nutrition from all topics.
Students who study Food Preparation and Nutrition can go on to gain employment in any of the catering professions, food technologist, dietician, chef, food photography, environmental health, home economist, product developer, food writer, food demonstrator, a variety of careers within the food processing industry. It is also a useful starting point to various college courses such as Hospitality and Catering and A level Food Technology.
Click here to view the curriculum implementation overview for Food Preparation and Nutrition.
Click here to view the curriculum timeline for Food Preparation and Nutrition.
Curriculum Learning Journey
Click here to view the Food learning journey for Key Stage 3 and 4.
Click on the links below to view the knowledge organisers for Food Preparation and Nutrition:
Click here to return to the Arts and Technology page.